Tuesday 26 March 2013

Pea and Ham Soup


So here’s the story… on Monday I made an amazing roast ham dinner (amazing if I do say so myself!). As there is only two of us if the house, I needed another way of using the ham up.
The dog had a little bit on his dinner last night as a treat…but I there was a huge chunk left.
I wanted to make a soup, but bearing in mind that I want to use things in my cupboards etc… I did an internet search and found a couple, and sort of put them together to suit what I already have….so here it is
Preparation about 10 min
Cooking 10-30 min
Serves 2-4
1tbsp sunflower oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 large potato (I only had small ones, so used about 4!) – cut into small cubes
Salt and Pepper
300g frozen peas
600ml of vegetable stock ( I used 3 vegetable oxo cubes and hot water :) )
100g ham – chopped up small
1. Heat oil in large pan, on a low heat.. Add the potato and onion, and season with Salt and Pepper. Then stir to coat the vegetables in oil
2. Take a piece of baking paper large enough to cover the top of the sauce pan (I used foil :) ). Scrunch it up and unfold it, then lay it over the top of the pan ( this will help the vegetables cook more quickly). Put the lid on the pan, cook on a low heat for 8-10 minutes, until the potatoes and onions are cooked,
3. Remove the paper. Add the peas and 400ml of stock to the pan, and bring to the boil. cook for a couple of minutes,
4. Take the pan off the heat, and blend the soup with a stick blender, until it is very smooth. Add the remaining 200ml of stock. Put in the ham
5. Bring the soup back up to a simmer. If you need to add more seasoning then do so.
6. Eat and enjoy!!
Mr Frugal has just devoured a bowl of this and he’s given it two thumbs up!!!
Feeling rather proud of myself with my first attempt at making soup!
I hope you enjoy this cheap and cheerful soup.
P.S if you haven’t got any ham…I think it would taste great with bacon. Yum Yum

No comments:

Post a Comment